Making Connections via Blogs, Facebook, Twitter and Whos.amung.us

I came across a great blog post by Jeff Utecht this morning on Twitter entitled A Blog Post, a Tweet a Connection. I found it very inspiring and  is definitely worth a read.

In this post Jeff describes how easy it is to connect up educators and students from all over by simply  using teacher social network connections. The experience he describes is very powerful. Most of us are connected to other educators, via Twitter, blogs, FaceBook, Nings, and more, its just finding ways to make them work for us.

Jeff summarised the content of his post as follows:
“I believe this story shows the power of:1. What can happen when we allow students to be “out there”.
2. What happens when our teachers become networked and can bring that network to their students.
3. That through connections educational possibilities are endless.

Picture 1

On a different note, most of us are pretty fond of our ClusterMaps. It’s nice to know whose reading and amazing to see where in the world the readers are located. Well after reading Jeff’s post I glanced over at the sidebar and found a whos. amung.us map. It’s great! Not only does it show the locations of visitors to the blog, but also displays in real time the locations from where it is being read.

While I was reading the post described above, the  El Salvador dot was flashing as wall as another in the states. Two of us in different parts of the world were reading the post at the same time. Upon clicking on the map, more details were available such as how many people were viewing which posts at the time as well as a graph of the last 24 hours of traffic the blog received. Definitely worth following up on!

2 thoughts on “Making Connections via Blogs, Facebook, Twitter and Whos.amung.us

1. I can see you’re testing out Whos.amung.us now on your site…that’s me in Thailand. I like to use it with students because of those stats you talk about when you click on the map. We can have discussions over why you think people read certain posts, and look at where people are coming from and at what time of the day. All of that data can be used in many different situations in the classroom. 🙂

2. Thanks Jeff, these are great ideas for using the map. I placed one on my class Wiki which, I use a great deal in lessons, and showed it to the kids Friday morning. They were thrilled to see that we had three people looking at out wiki and watching our animations! Later in the lesson another one popped up, the kids were monitoring the map(a bit addictive isnt’ it? and once again the excitement started. The next logical step is to use your discussion ideas with them.

By the way, thanks again for sharing the Making Connections experience.